- Personal Data
- Date of birth: August 18, l947
- Citizen of: Zürich, Switzerland
- Marital Status:
four children, and
- Stammbaum: insiders may have a look to my
- Hobbies: family life, be a do-it-yourselfer, skiing incl. snowboarding, biking
Commitments in Clubs and political Parties:
||Member of the historical guild of
in Zürich, since 1978 as Ensign, since 2000 as
||Election as Local Councillor (Gemeinderat) of Schwerzenbach.
||Member of the Skiclub of Horgen, 4 years in the board of management.
||Election as School Curator in Horgen.
||Responsible for the hiking trails in Walzenhausen.
||Election as President of a Road Cooperative in Walzenhausen.
- Federal Institute of Technology, Zurich (ETH-Z), Civil Engineering Department (l966 - l970)
- Civil Engineering Diploma
- Institute of Geotechnical Engineering (former Road Construction and Rock Engineering) at the ETH-Z (l973 - 1981)
- Doctoral Thesis on Numerical Methods in Rock Engineering (1980)
- Microsoft Certified Professional (1997)
- Languages: German, English, Spanish, French
- Professional Experience
- l971 - 1973: Motor-Columbus Consulting Engineers, Baden
- Project work and project management (Water Power Stations Matucana, Peru and Santa Isabel, Bolivia)
- Computer program (FORTRAN, IBM 1130) for the calculation of surge tank oscillations
- Computer program (FORTRAN, IBM 1130) for the design of the ventilation in deeply located tunnels (Gotthard Base Tunnel)
- Static and hydraulic studies for caverns
- One year onsite construction supervision (Water Power Station Bremgarten-Zufikon)
- Since 1973: Institute for Geotechnical Engineering, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology ETH-Zürich
- Scientific studies in the areas of Computer Sciences, Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering
- Numerical solution of rheological problems in rock mechanics
- Development of computational models for tunnel design
- Standardization of the computational models for analyzing the stability of rock slopes and dams
- Development of the Integrated Measuring Technique for registering the forces in tunnel linings
- Radio-active waste disposal
- Consultant for the following projects:
- Tunnels: St. Gotthard, Zimmerberg, Kerenzerberg, Rosenberg, Hagenholz, Hermetschloo, Arlberg (Austria), Artemission (Greece), Niteroi (Brazil), Santa Teresa (Venezuela), Analco San Jose (México)
- Subways in Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo, Munich, Paris, México City (see also
10vor10 of TV).
- Caverns: Haldenstein, Moenchsberg (Austria), Porabka Zar (Poland)
- Landslides in Prättigau and near Gersau
- Test laboratory Grimsel for nuclear waste disposal
- Leader of the working group for the development of the program system
- RHEO-STAUB was first written in Assembler and FORTRAN for Mainframes of IBM, Control Data and Cray Research, running under the operating systems VM/CMS/VSAM, SCOPE, NOS, NOS/VE and COS. It was installed at various places in Europe, U.S.A., Canada, México, Brazil and Iran
- Starting at 1984 it was rewritten for IBM Personal Computers (PC) under the operating systems DOS and OS/2. This version was sold to more than 100 hundred consulting engineers all over the world
- Special developments for the PC-Version of
- Dynamic memory organization
- Text oriented menu system in the programming language C
- Interactive graphic editor in C
- User friendly programming environment with context sensitive help
- Bulletin Board System for clients
- Finite Element Development Framework
based on the object oriented paradigm, written in the programming language C++
- Class Library for graphical user interface and applications
- Object oriented Solid (Boundary-) Modeler
- Application program for problems in Rock Engineering based on the Framework
- Development of Websites
- Current development: AutoCAD add-on
for investigating stability problems of slopes and foundations in three dimensions.
- Administrative framework for automatic inventorying, security evaluation and centralized manipulation of the IT infrastructure at IGT (access with IGT password only).
- Lectures and publications
- Special functions
- Informatics consultant of the Institute for Geotechnical Engineering at ETH-Z
- System Administrator of a Local Area Network
- Webmaster of the 1st World Wide Website of the
Institute for Geotechnical Engineering at ETH-Z.
- Former Editor in Chief and Webmaster of the Software Reviews
for Geotechnical Engineering, an autonomous part of the Electronic Journal of Geotechnical Engineering
- Former member of a working group responsible for introducing PC's for students at the Civil Engineering Department at ETH-Z
- Assistant Editor of the International Journal for Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering (until 1990)
- Member of the European Technical Committee ETC7 of ISSMGE, on Numerical Methods in Geotechnical Engineering.
- Present position